Something through the door
and then a flash of recognition
“Oh Yoshi, it’s you!”
Angie and Rod, Millie and Mako, and the beach in picture frames.
Making these fulfils something in my long making-things-cycle (there are other cycles, like my daily routine, but my long cycle spans several months). In tandem I am also drawing nature (mostly flora) from observation, reading more than at other points, and running for distance rather than speed. All this stuff goes together right now. It all has to do with an enjoyment of breathing….I think. It’s like I’m drinking out of a big novelty straw as opposed to one of those little cocktail straws. And that is so close to how it actually feels that that is barely a simile.
1. sister’s replica – green, hematite, wood
2. asymmetrical – Red, white, little blue, green, wood
3. healing – Green, little pink, blue, little pink, Green, little pink, then [Trio: orange, green, pink suspension]
4. [not pictured, given to Dan Brew which he wears as a bracelet]
5. an approximation of coral – white, little black, white, little black
6. tropical baby – white, peach, white, green, peach, green
7. my neck, and then – orange, orange, teal, teal, cloudy, teal, cloudy
8. in lieu of touch – Orange, blue, white, blue, Orange [pictured below]
9. Rod’s Pink and Wood – Wood, pink, [dark] Wood, Pink
10. crunch berries – blue polygon, [magenta/red] polygon
Cassandra Miller atop a hill in Victoria, Canada
It rains a lot in Manchester so most of these have been made in the rain. Consequently, the rain plays with the ink.
This is one of my favorite flowers–it just grows in my backyard. I don’t know what it is called, so if you know please send me a message. They look like little delicate pink hearts at the end of green veins
Puffins! Drawn on the Farne Islands in Northern England. It was also rainy.
In no particular order
Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
El Guincho - Bombay
Erykah Badu - Window Seat
Gesaffelstein – Pursuit
18+ - Drawl
Die Antwoord - Zef Side
Jon Satrom - 100 Force Quit Noise Cancel Calculators
Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box
R.E.M. - Imitation of Life
Sia - Chandelier
I made this video for
Mira. Or rather, with her always in my thoughts.
synopsis of events:
- I’m doing this so I can untangle some knots
- ok, they said
- we all moved forward
This video is a chapter marker. Like Rod’s ‘the keys to everything that ever existed’ (which he has yet to release), this piece is a burial rite. He is my twin, and sometimes we make art from the same place. This place in particular…we saw this place together, and things kept happening in our lives that just seemed to be the universe folding over, necessitating serendipities.
Part of a constellation falls.
A birdhouse–from this set of three–which months prior I had made a print of…
…falls with perfect timing.
My dog Millie gifts me a bird, with perfect timing. As if she knew what I had lost. Millie walked the dead bird into the house in her mouth and dropped it next to me. I didn’t know what I was looking at at first.
Also, as Cassandra explains, the music takes a short sample of Kurt Cobain’s singing voice and reveals facets of its quality and structure through repetition….
Ok, so going way, way, back to when I was a teenager…
Nirvana was a very important part of my life. Of course I would know that Where Did You Sleep Last Night (which is the ‘source material’ for for mira), was performed on a stage that Kurt Cobain requested resemble a wake. This is why there is an abundance of stargazer lilies up on stage with him.
For me, making the video for for mira was a way of saying good-bye; my use of stargazer lilies was not an accident.
There is also the inclusion of a complete, uncompromised heart, which is also burning. As this video can be whatever I want it to be, there are no fragments–no missing pieces.
As a very real marker, this version of me has come out of the middle of the making of this video. This is how I make art. I hope that it will change me. And coming out of this video, I feel it is the telling of a story of a memory. Meaning, I now feel the distance from it’s catalyst events, and underwent the
physio-alchemical act of housing this ghost in my long-term memory. That’s what making this video finally did to me. That, or the two things just so happened in parallel. Anyway, the end result is the same: this is where I release.
Mira and Cassandra, I love you both.
Thank you for coming into my life.
above, from Rod’s score the keys to everything that ever existed
[A post I had previously made on March 13, 2015]
Making for mira into a music video opens up the possibility of exploring the piece’s repetition in a way that is unique to this medium. Cassandra, Mira, and Rodrigo are working closely to treat the final audio with that in mind.
There are still a few shots I want to get, and then of course there is the editing (which is really where the heavy lifting occurs), but here are a few production shots in the meantime while it all comes together.
Concrescence/Dispersion, or how to sympathize with an oak tree
belongs to Cassandra Miller
- “eerily well produced promo video” -awesome programmer Sam Tarakajian (“My Good Buddy Sam“)
– “my loardddd, you guys rock!” -world famous PA Tremblay
– “The only tutorial video I’ve wanted to watch over and over again” -world famous Cassandra Miller
– “holy shitsssss DAMN! that external looks insanely awesome and the video is fucking genius!” -world famous Danishta Rivero
- “stylistically bedazzling” world famous duo David Pocknee & Michael Baldwin
Here’s Rod’s blog post about it.